Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Curve Ball

well things just get more and more interesting!

Just as I had convinced Mum and almost convinced myself that keeping my business running after I move would be the way to go... a very interesting job prospect appears

My best friend Jonny (who has just started reading this bloggy, hi Jonny!) works with an organisation which amongst other things, assists fathers in gaining access to their children. One of the things Jonny helps some of these fathers to do is find a job... and along the way he finds the odd gem of a position. Yesterday he found one that screamed my name

I'm reserving judgement until I recieve the job description which I requested today, but this sounds like enough of a challenge to actually keep me interested

I'm actually considering being an Apparel Instructor in a women's prison. I would never have pictured myself in that position before, but whenever I tell people about it, they unanimously agree that it would be perfect for me... not quite sure how to take that! :P

Now that I think about it, I can see myself there. I would be training inmates nearing the end of their sentences to re-enter the workforce, teaching them a skill in an industry which is currently desperate for workers. I myself would be trained in many aspects of prison work, cultural awareness, policy & legislation, along with full support in completing or undertaking any related study. All that and what I assume (yet to be confirmed) would be quite a healthy pay packet.

I have no formal teaching qualification, but it isn't mentioned in the position brief as a requirement. I have however found myself in teaching positions several times before. I'm a DAMN good teacher (if i do say so myself). well, really i'm damn good at pretty much anything that interests me enough to hold my attention, but that's another matter entirely. When I teach, I take the time to make sure that mu students not only understand what i'm telling them, but understand the reasoning behind the lesson as well - that way they actually remember what they learn, and are capable of altering the mechanics of the concept to suit other purposes. Takes a few minutes longer, but it works well. I am pleased and impressed with my students when they prove their understanding rather than just remember facts.

Anyway, it has been a while since I've done any teaching, but i do remember it being as rewarding as it is exhausting, and I do seem to fit all the other requirements of the position so far, so i'm going for it. If i don't get the job or if I change my mind, I still have my business.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Now that I think about it, I can see myself there."

Love that sentence... *runs*

12:50 AM GMT+12  
Blogger Jen said...

run faster!!! :P

2:16 AM GMT+12  

Post a Comment

<< Home